MASTER OF SCIENCE IN LIBRARY SCIENCE
Thesis: An Exploratory Study of the Information Behavior of Users of Oral Histories
BACHELOR OF ARTS CUM LAUDE, COLLEGE OF LETTERS & FRENCH STUDIES
Thesis: Selected Works of Gisèle Prassinos Translated from French
DIGITAL SCHOLARSHIP STRATEGIST
January 2017 – June 2017
Develop roadmap and recommendations to enable Harvard Libraries enhance digital scholarship support
Lead comprehensive needs assessment process
Design staffing, service model for a new digital scholarship unit in the library
Coordinate professional development efforts to enhance public service librarians’ digital literacy
Recommend processes and policies for selecting, evaluating, and curating digital projects
PROGRAM DIRECTOR, LIBRARY PUBLISHING COALITION
July 2015 – August 2016
PROGRAM MANAGER, LIBRARY PUBLISHING COALITION
January 2013 – July 2015
Build community and facilitate collaboration
- Develop collaborative projects and relationships within the organization and with other scholarly communications stakeholders
- Represent the LPC in national and international forums
Develop strategic directions for the organization
- Lead strategic planning and needs assessment
- Work with Board and membership to prioritize activities and allocate resources
- Balance perspectives of 60 member libraries
Cultivate expertise in the field
- Conduct, publish, and present practical research
- Stay abreast of and publicize trends in scholarly communications and open access
- Edit annual Library Publishing Directory
Design and manage services, activities, and communications
- Support project management for six standing committees
- Organize annual Library Publishing Forum (160+ attendees)
- Manage web, social media, and print communications and outreach
- Coordinate ongoing web development
RESEARCH ASSISTANT, ASSESSMENT & STRATEGIC PLANNING
January – December 2012
- Collaborated on the design of a public-facing website, the development of an assessment plan, and the implementation of an assessment project review process for the libraries
- Consulted on the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data
- Supported strategic planning for the libraries through communications, project management, research
DIGITAL ASSET MANAGEMENT INTERN
June – August 2012
- Conducted an inventory of digital assets managed by the university library system across platforms (CONTENTdm, Django, eXist, SQL databases)
- Recommended standards for defining and counting “digital objects”
PROJECT COORDINATOR, BEYOND PRINT
January – December 2010
- Coordinated communications, events, and research for the grant-funded “Beyond Print” project to develop sustainable models for consortial e-book licensing
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING CONSULTANT
August 2010 – December 2012
- Supported communications and publicity for libraries and publishers including the Association of Research Libraries (ARL); the Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC); and eLife, a start-up OA journal
- Managed print and web content
- Authored reports, blog posts, press releases
- Designed communications and branding materials
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING CONSULTANT
February 2010 – September 2010
- Developed and implemented press campaigns for clients in the higher education sector
- Built relationships with higher education journalists
- Monitored press activity for clients
- Advised clients on communications strategies
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Content management and digital publishing systems (WordPress, Drupal, Omeka, Scalar)
- Project management software (Asana, Trello, Basecamp)
- HTML, CSS
- Familiarity with text/data encoding languages (TEI, XML)
- Familiarity with metadata standards
- French (fluent)
- Spanish (intermediate)
- German (beginner)
Publications and Presentations
Lippincott, Sarah. “The Library Publishing Coalition: Organizing Libraries to Enhance Scholarly Publishing.” UKSG Insights, (2016).
Lippincott, Sarah. The (Open) Academic Book of the Future. DOI: 10.14324/111.9781911307679.17. https://ucldigitalpress.co.uk/BOOC/Article/1/42/
Kyrillidou, Martha, Colleen Cook, and Sarah K. Lippincott. “ARL Profiles: Research Libraries 2010: Capturing Digital Developments through Qualitative Inquiry.” Performance Measurement and Metrics, vol. 17, no. 1. https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/89814
Library Publishing Directory 2016. Ed. Sarah Lippincott. Library Publishing Coalition: Atlanta, GA, 2014.
Skinner, Katherine, Sarah Lippincott, Julie Speer, and Tyler Walters. “Library-as-Publisher: Capacity Building for the Library Publishing Subfield.” Getting the Word Out: Academic Libraries as Scholarly Publishers. Ed. Maria Bonn and Mike Furlough. ACRL: Chicago, Illinois, 2015.
Skinner, Katherine, and Sarah Lippincott. “Library Publishing, North America.” Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, Third Edition. NY: CRC Press, 2014.
Library Publishing Directory 2015. Ed. Sarah Lippincott. Library Publishing Coalition: Atlanta, GA, 2014.
Skinner, Katherine, Sarah Lippincott, Julie Speer, and Tyler Walters. “Library-as-Publisher: Capacity Building for the Library Publishing Subfield.” Journal of Electrionic Publishing, vol. 17, no. 2. (Spring 2014).
Library Publishing Directory 2014. Ed. Sarah Lippincott. Library Publishing Coalition: Atlanta, GA, 2013.
Lippincott, Sarah, and Katherine Skinner. “Building a Community-Driven Organization to Advance Library Publishing” Library Publishing Toolkit. Ed. Allison Brown. IDS Project Press Milne Library, SUNY Geneseo, 2013.
Lippincott, Sarah, Stephen Brooks, Aisha Harvey, Judy Ruttenberg, Luke Swindler, and John Vickery, “Librarian, Publisher, and Vendor Perspectives on Consortial E-Book Purchasing: The Experience of the TRLN Beyond Print Summit.” Serials Review, vol. 38, no. 1 (2012).
Lippincott, Sarah, and Martha Kyrillidou. “How ARL University Communities Access Information: Highlights from LibQUAL+.” ARL: A Bimonthly Report. no. 236. (October 2004).
Potter, William Gray, Colleen Cook, Martha Kyrillidou, Jennifer Rutner, Michael Maciel, David Green, Sarah Lippincott, Yolanda Glass, and Nicholas Woolf. ARL Profiles: Research Libraries 2010. Association of Research Libraries: Washington, DC, 2011.
“Publishing at Scale(s): How Library Publishing Supports Scholarship on Campus and Around the World,” (Reinventing University Publishing Conference, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, Mar. 17, 2015).
–. “Library Publishing: Building a More Equitable and Effective Scholarly Communication Environment“ (webinar). (Dia do Bibliotecário 2016: Bibliotecas como Parceiras na Publicação Científica [Librarian Day 2016: Libraries as Partners in Academic Publications], Biblioteca da FEA/USP, São Paulo, Brazil, March 18, 2016). https://youtu.be/r5ROFmsj5e8
Brand, Amy, Al Bertrand, Robert Harington, Sarah Lippincott, and Anne Brackenbury. “The Academic Book of the Future,” (Brown University, Providence, RI, Nov. 16, 2015). https://youtu.be/Vl7O7DUB__8
“The Library as Publisher,” (SSP Librarian Focus Group, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, Feb. 3, 2015).
“Library Publishing Coalition and Library Publishing in North America,” (XIV National Meeting of Scientific Editors, San Pedro, Brazil, Nov. 13, 2013).
Colleran, Edward, Steven Heffner, Sarah Lippincott, and Larry Schwartz. “Librarians, Publishers, Aggregators: Are You Missing the Boat on the Perfect Partnership?” (Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC, Nov. 5, 2015).
Lippincott, Sarah. “Libraries as Partners in Sustainable Campus-Based Publishing and Scholarly Communications.” (NISO Virtual Conference: Scholarly Communication Models: Evolution or Revolution?, Sep. 23, 2015).
Watkinson, Charles, Sarah Lippincott, and John Warren. “Liblisher or Pubrary,” (SSP Annual Meeting, Arlington, VA, May 28, 2015).
Lippincott, Sarah. “Library Publishing and Open Textbooks in the United States,” (Ebooks 2015 Conference, University College London, May 17, 2015).
Lippincott, Sarah and Katherine Skinner, “The Library Publishing Coalition: From Collective Action to Collective Impact,” (CNI Fall 2014 Membership Meeting, Washington, DC, Dec. 8, 2014).
Lippincott, Sarah, Aaron McCollough, and Maria Bonn. “The Library as Publisher: Details, Practice, Potential Outcomes,” (Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC, Nov. 5, 2014)
Hawkins, Kevin, Sarah Lippincott, Monica McCormick, and Melanie Schlosser, “What Are Libraries Doing as Publishers?” (Association of American University Presses Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 22, 2014).
Bonn, Maria, Korey Jackson, Sarah Lippincott, and Alice Meadows, “Aligning 21st Century Skills Across Publishing Communities,” (Society for Scholarly Publishing Meeting, Boston, MA, May 28, 2014).
Hawkins, Kevin, Sarah Lippincott, and Kate Wittenberg, “Publishing and Preserving OA Content,” (University of North Texas OA Symposium 2014, Fort Worth, TX, May 19, 2014).
Buckland, Amy, Sarah Lippincott, and Melanie Schlosser, “Publishing in Your Library: Defining Purposes, Policies, Practices,” (DLF Forum, Austin, TX, Nov. 5, 2013).
Diedrichs, Carol, Sarah Pritchard, Tyler Walters, Julie Speer, and Sarah Lippincott, “Library Publishing Coalition,” (Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC, Nov. 6-9, 2013).
“A Community-Driven Initiative to Advance Library Publishing,” (PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Aug. 19, 2013).
Volunteering and Personal Projects
- Built class blog
- Provided instruction and reference to students on using WordPress